Thread: Spahn is gone
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Default Spahn is gone

Posted By: Chris Counts

My encounters with ballplayers and ex-ballplayers have been, for the most part, positive. Most occured when I was between the ages of 9-12 (I'm 45 now), so perhaps these guys just liked kids. Regardless, each of these ballplayers and ex-ballplayers won me over. Here are a couple that stand out ...

1) Joe DiMaggio — I came across Joe in the Angels parking lot before an old-timers' game in about 1972. Since I didn't own any old cards of most players present, I brought along a stack of 3x5 cards to get signed. Joe walked right past me and there was nobody else in sight. I asked him for his autograph, and he was polite, cordial and relaxed. He took the stack of cards and started signing. The whole thing was surreal. By the time he got to the 11th or 12th 3x5 card, I was feeling guilty from my embarrassment of riches and I thanked him for his time, and of course, the dozen or so autographs he left me with.

2) Duke Snider — I met him at a card show in about 1976 in San Diego. I had a table near him at the show. He was so friendly and down-to-earth I quickly forgot he was a famous ex-ballplayer. He signed a photo for me, "To Chris, the greatest pitcher I ever faced, long live Ebbets Field, your friend, Duke Snider."

3) Dock Ellis and Billy Martin — Once when I was a kid, I snuck into a hotel in Anaheim in search of autographs. The Yankees were staying there. At some point, a somewhat ill-tempered security guard cornered myself and a couple other kids. He was reading us the riot act. Out of nowhere, this hulking figure appeared and physically lifted the the guard off the ground. With menace in his voice and a twinkle in eye, Dock Ellis told the guard, "Don't mess with these guys, they are my friends." The same day, I passed Billy Martin. He had a cast on his left hand from punching somebody or something. I figured signing a baseball would be a challenge with just one hand, so I simply said hello to him and kept walking. He turned and asked me if I wanted his autograph. I handed him the ball, which he somehow pinned between his cast and his left shoulder and chin. His signature was perfect and he was a gentleman.