View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Default Public Service announcement- scraps on ebay

Posted By: davidcycleback

The majority of scammers are not trying to fool Bill Mastro or seasoned collectors. They are trying to fool people who know nothing (and I mean nothing) about baseball cards and the hobby. Like tides and boats, even a little knowledge raises a collector above many scams.

If a collector is bidding good money on a 'Putnam Babe Ruth' in a BVGSA holder in a private auction, he has pretty much hit the trifecta of baseball card collecting ignorance.

While my guide focuses on in person authenitication and reprint identification, it will include a chapter to help total beginning collectors-- including the "little knowledge" to raise their boats above most eBay scams ("avoid private auctions," "stick to cards listed in Standard Catalog," "stick to reputable graders," recommended books). I will be more than happy to sell a copy to any eBayer who wants it (I'm not averse to $$). However, I'm well aware that, even when the booklet is available, some eBayers will feel their money is better invested "Whitaker Ty Cobbs," "Vanity Fair Joe Jacksons" and "Green Bay Press-Gazzette Coupon Section Walter Johnsons" than in a dumb guide. That's just the way it is. Some people approach collecting and a hobby as an opportunity to learn, some don't.

I have always enjoyed helping out and giving advice to collectors who are intelectually curious and have a genuine interest what they collect or something new they stumbled upon at a garage sale. This is what the hobby is about .... On the other hand, I have no affection for these pint size eBay 'investors' who purchase items without caring in the least or having any intention to learn one iota about the item's history or non-financial value. Life is too short to shed a tear because that 0.5cm stopsigncut (e.g. the only conceivable reason someone paid $200 for something that butt ugly is beause he thought it was a good financial investment, and if he did actually buy it because of it's 'stunning beauty' for God's sake don't let him fix you up on a blind date) "Vanity Fair Joe Jackson with Partial Ad on Back" didn't bring the eBay investor his expected thousands upon resale.