View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Default what were the best finds you've had?

Posted By: Erick Lewin

I've told this story before about a year ago so i'm not going to go into quite as much detail. To make a long story short, Im 23years old, birthday today actually.

When i was a little kid i remember going once or twice a year usually to my great grandparents house on Long Island (i live here to, only 1/2 hour away), anyway, i would always get excited because i got a chance to look at my great grandfathers old baseball cards. There were a handfull of Cracker Jacks (1915's) in average (g-vg) condition, best being a Mack. All the rest (over 100) other cards were alll black and white and i never knew what they were until about a year ago when i got them. He had a huge stack of them and kept them all in a old candy box in a filing cabinet. He had saved these since he was a young boy. He told me that he got the cards out of loaves of Butter-Krust Bread.
I tried to look them up, however, the backs were blank and there was really no info to go on on the front exept for the Underwood &Underwood copyright, and another printing line, players names and such.
He passed away about 8 or so years ago and then when i went over there my great grandma could not find them anymore. So i thought the cards had gotten lost, thrown out , or possibly stolen. Then last year she passed away and a couple months later my grandparents found them as they were searching through the house.
After doing some research it turns out they were all D381's (Fleischmann Bakery cards with the tabs cut off), ehich is why i had trouble identifying them.
Needless to say i was extremely excited when i first got them and even more so when i actually knew what they were and how rare they are. I feel they are so rare that it actually hurts there value because so few people know anything about the set. I will never sell them anyway. Im know 7 away from a full set, and plan to keep all my doubles incase i could use them for trade in the future for ones i need. When i first got the cards i was 17 away i believe, but i think i have already tapped into the only good two sources of these cards as i can't find any others i need.
HOwever, it will be a fun challenge for years to come and i plan to keep them in the family forever.

On a side note, i have a link in the collectors sites on this forum, but my scans have expired. I am going to try to talk to some friends soon and get the scans back up permanently hopefully. I work on my dad's farm though so the summer is bad for me because i work everyday. But i hope to get around to it relatively soon and get all the scans up so people can see the cards.

Keep this thread going... would love to hear other stories....great site!