View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Default Am I alone on this, wouldn’t be the first time.

Posted By: warshawlaw

1. Exposing ebay frauds is one of the best services we can perform for less knowledgeable collectors. A lot of people have come in here on first posts thanking us for coming forward on this stuff because it has helped them not get burned. And yes, while only an idiot would think that he'd get a real Wagner for $15, a lot of people are burned on much smaller, lower profile items. These need to be exposed.

2. Another related value to this board lies in exposing crooked, sloppy and/or unprofessional sellers, for the same reasons as above.

3. Discussing the relative merits of different grading services will not stop because the services are constantly changing their approaches, grading new stuff, etc. When PSA, for example, loses Spence and he goes over to SGC, that is worth discussing. We also help (in some small way) to form the consensus as to which services are good and for what reasons. If PSA rips off a collector, loses a submission, slabs an altered card that anyone who can read a catalog would spot, etc., I want to know.

4. I do agree about the O/T posts--but they are being closely monitored. If something significant happens in the world of sports I expect it to come up here and I don't get all bent out of shape if it does.

If you want nice, fluffy, pollyanna-ish posts, the CU board is always there with its active thought police, but you know what, it is REALLY dull to live in sanitized world. There are a lot of strong personalities here with a lot of strong, often clashing views, but the net result is the best mix of information, opinion and entertainment in vintage cards.

Once I am gone Transylvania will be as exciting as Budapest on a Tuesday night.--Dracula, "Love At First Bite"