View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Default Slightly Off Topic...

Posted By: Bob Marquette

The trouble with 8 Men Out is that while interesting and entertaining, it could never measure up to the book. I was lucky enough to get a first edition of it on ebay and also a first edition of The Year The Yankees Lost the Pennant with dustjacket (later made in to Damn Yankees). So, yes, some of us do read.
Speaking of great baseball movies, Color of the Game (I believe that is the title) which relates the story of Satchell Page and Josh Gibson and their struggle to play major league baseball is excellent as is Soldier's Story with Denzel Washington. Both definitely in my top 7.
But when it comes to a movie falling far, far short of the book, you have Field of Dreams and the book upon which it is based, Shoeless Joe. Kinsella's greatest efforts were this book and The Iowa Baseball Confederacy, both must reads. My all time favorite baseball book though is The Unforgettable Season by G.H. Fleming which chronicles the greatest pennant race of all time, the 1908 National League pennat chase with Honus, Matty, Three Finger and of course, Fred Merkle.