View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Default David Bryan e-mail address needed

Posted By: david bryan

Well Brian i guess this deserves a reply from me much of what will be the same as from an earlier tread. I fell your comments were harsh and out of line therefore I felt the need to respond. I can assure you that SGC does not play any favoritism with me and I feel strongly they do not for anyone. Likewise I have never ever told SGC what grade I expected or wanted, as you insinuated. I take my lumps just like you and others. SGC is an exceptional company and would never (in my opinion) deliberately over grade a card for one of their customers. Do they make mistakes? Certainly they do! Have they ever made a mistake on one of my cards or submissions? Certainly they have! I am like many other collectors, often puzzled at why the grades were so low on many of my submissions. They hammer me just like everyone else, but yes occasionally they may over grade one. So what is an acceptable percentage for SGC to miss grade a card and give it a grade higher than maybe it should be? Is 1% an acceptable percentage? That would be 1 in 100 cards. I personally would say that would be an exceptional average and in reality it is most likely a higher percentage. I wish I could say that I was that good but I would not be close to that. So lets assume 1% is acceptable and a collector sends in 100 cards over the course of the year than he would maybe have 1 card that is over graded but may have many many more that were what he felt harshly graded. Would that make you feel that you were receiving favoritism? Well I do not send in 100 cards a year but thousands. So lets say I only send in 1000 cards over the year (in reality it is much much more) than using the same percentage I would have 10 cards which were potentially over graded during the year. All my cards go on ebay and everyone can see them. So if over the course of a year you spot 10 cards (minimum) of mine which are over graded does that mean that SGC is giving me favoritism? I think not! The same reasoning could apply to different submission. one submission may be very harshly graded. Then another one a little more liberally graded. Ever had that happen? Even though SGC is extremely consistent, it happens. Ever graded a card or cards on one day only to revisit them on another day and think what in the world was I thinking? Also all the cards you see on ebay are not graded from my submission, as I buy thousands already graded and many of my consignors use SGC. SGC is a class act and they did not get that way by treating people differently. They are consistent and honorable, but yes they are also human and not computers or machines, so the human factor does and always will play a part in grading. Yes they can occasionally make mistakes, but when they do I feel confident it is an honest one and not a deliberate one. Brian I strive to run my business and my life with integrity, honesty and as morally correct as possible. If you think otherwise than fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I know differently and I feel my customers know differently as well. I think it would be safe to say that I am in the minority in that I allow returns on even graded cards. I strive to make my customers happy and satisfied. If you have a problem with it, you can certainly decide to not participate in any of my future auctions. I will leave that decision up to you.