View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Default Uncatalogued cards

Posted By: Paul

I agree with Runscott's post. I would go one step further. I see only one situation in which the uncatalogued status of a card increases its value. The card is from a well known very scarce set (Gypsy Queen for example) and the seller can create the false impression that it is scarcer than all the rest of the cards in the set because it is uncatalogued. I really do think that this false impression is what drives the value up.

If the whole set is uncatalogued, I have to agree with Runscott that the value will go up with cataloguing. Look at that recent group of Herpolsheimer E121 style cards. Many of us had doubts about their authenticity. Once catalogued, those doubts will (rightly or wrongly) fade. I suspect their price will then go up. If it was a completely new set (rather than just a new back), I think this effect will be magnified even more. If that wierd E or W Wagner card is catalogued and generally accepted as legit, I suspect its value will soar. After all, it's a one of a kind Wagner.

Lastly, if the whole set is relatively common (like T206) and an uncatalogued card is found, I again think Runscott is right. Cataloguing will spur demand for the card. Everyone who collects that set will believe he has to have it.

Just my 2 cents. Though this post is big enough to be a quarter.