View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Default Nice Gesture from Mastronet

Posted By: Paul

Once in awhile someone does something nice in this hobby, so I thought I should report it here.

A few weeks ago, I saw on ebay a 1969 issue of The Trader Speaks with Tom Seaver on the cover. I'm a big Seaver fan and collect everything picturing him -- cards, magazines, books, etc. I've been at this since the beginning of time, so I have almost everything. But I had no idea Seaver had ever appeared on the cover of The Trader Speaks.

About an hour before the auction was to close, a handyman came to my house to make some repairs (fixing a hole where the rain came in). And I forgot to bid. The thing sold for $11, probably a lot for a Trader Speaks, but next to nothing as far as I was concerned.

I contacted the winner to see if I could buy it from him, offering double what he paid. It turns out the winner was Mark Theotikos of Mastronet. We exchanged a few emails, without me knowing who he was. At some point, he realized I was a Mastronet bidder, he told me who he was, and sent the magazine to me for free. It arrived today and has a truly unique and valued place in my Seaver collection.

I know eleven bucks isn't much to Mastronet, but this is something that they certainly didn't have to do, a lot of people wouldn't do, and something I will always appreciate. Now if only they'll cut me a break on a McPhee.

Paul