Thread: Baseball Books
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2004, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Default Baseball Books

Posted By: Jeff S

Best Bet in Beantown, by G.S. Rowe. Rowe is also a top-notch scholar and said at a panel at last summer's SABR conference that he ended up writing this (and another) novel about Tim Murnane while writing a biography of Murnane. (Murnane, for those who don't know, was an early player and manager and, based in Boston, became one of the nation's best-known journalists.)

I don't think the other Murnane book has been released yet.

You may also want to check the McFarland catalog -- I don't usually take note of fiction published by McFarland (call me a snob, but I don't), but I seem to recall them putting out a few historical baseball novels.

Also (I think this one is self-published) The Gift of the Bambino by Jerry Amernic. I haven't read it yet, but am reviewing it for the next issue of the SABR deadball committee newsletter.

And I wouldn't feel right saying much about it, but I talked Daryl Brock into telling me about his next novel, and it sounds great. Josh Gibson, time travel, and an Angel (not of the california, los angeles, or anaheim variety) ...beyond that I'm keeping mum.

While I'm whetting your appetite for future releases, I must also plug my as-yet untitled novel about John Ward and the formation of the Player's League. Look for it at your local bookstore in the mid 2010s, at the rate I'm going right now.