View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Default Grading hits home

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

When a significant difference in value exists between grades, it is not uncommon for ethical individuals to resubmit cards to a grading service several times in an attempt to achieve a higher grade. This ethical practise will result in all valuable slabbed cards being representative of the worst condition for the indicated grade.

Similarly, cited above are instances in which card owners innocently fixed minor imperfections in their cards.

It is not clear to me where the lines of innocence and ethics are drawn. And I do not think that it matters what we think. Because there will always be opportunists who take advantage of profit potential.

A card's condition is obvious to an educated eye (although sometimes the eye is focused thru a microscope). A grading service ideally will report the exact condition of the card, including alterations, as applicable; for those of us less educated.

What more do you want? I know. You want no one to alter cards. You want no one to make counterfeit cards. And more. I agree. And I want beer to be free too.