View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Default Grading hits home

Posted By: warshawlaw

But I am very disheartened by the cavalier attitude that some of the posters here take towards this issue. Everyone here is sophisticated enough and (hopefully) ethical enough to know that altering cards and selling them without disclosing that they have been altered is not right, regardless of whether a slabber blesses the handiwork between handfulls of cheese-its, and regardless of whether it is altered well enough to get a 7 or poorly enough to only draw a 2. The difference is one of degree, not substance. It is also illegal in California, where everything took place, to sell an altered card without disclosing it. California Business & Professions Code § 21671 says that you cannot sell an altered card without a specific written disclosure to the buyer and penalizes the seller who does so $5,000 per altered card, because: "The integrity of the sports trading card market must be protected by requiring seller disclosure to buyers and traders of sports trading cards that have been altered or refurbished..."

It does not matter to me that GAI passed the card; it was altered intentionally to improve its appearance. Some poor buyer on Ebay now gets ****ed out of a pretty good chunk of change for an altered card. Is that right? How do you think he'd feel about it if he found out? Pissed is probably an understatement.

Remember something called the Golden Rule? Ring any bells? The fact that some people do not seem to understand that it is wrong to use a third party to hide something like this is a pretty sad commentary on their business ethics. I say no to that kind of thinking. Honesty is better. If you think like a thief, you have to live like one too. What's the old saying: "I don't lay down with dogs so I don't wake up with fleas"?