View Single Post
Old 10-10-2004, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Default Simply amazing - the doctored Cobb is back

Posted By: runscott

First of all, when Greg told me back in May that he had sold the card for $200 and that it was now in a PSA 3 holder and he would send me a scan, based on his previous actions and correspondences, I had no reason to believe him, i.e - I thought he was "yanking my chain" in an attempt to get me to post something on the board that he would later deny...what would be better than getting Scott to start screaming "Now it's in a PSA holder!!!" and then it turns out to be a lie...and NO, he never sent me the promised scan of the card in a PSA 3 holder. I discussed this with at least two board members back in May and we all agreed that Greg was just ****ing with me.

So I told Greg on May 18, and this is an email quote: "Greg, Thanks for sharing this - yes, please send a picture. I am taking a LONG break from the board, so I won't stir up any more controversy about it. Scott" ...and I never got a scan or any other response.

And in fact, I basically DID take a break from this board for a couple of months (which is LONG for me). And yes, it was primarily because of all the **** I took from Greg back in the Spring, and the pathetic support from others on the board.

When this card did in fact show up in a PSA 3 holder, I was amazed and I posted about it. And before, Joe P, you jump my ass again, for the umpteenth unprovoked time, I apologized to Wayne in an above post, basically because I was stupid enough to believe Greg's previous email once I saw the card in the PSA 3 holder that he had told me about back in May. How in heck was I supposed to know that Greg sold the card, bought it back in yet a third company's holder, then sold it again without notifying the purchaser of the alterations? It was EXTREMELY naive of me, and if I had any sense at all I would have deleted Greg's email without even reading it. I won't make this mistake again.

Yes, the grading companies have a responsibility to do their best to spot alterations. It's odd and encomprehensible that all three companies missed this, but with today's technological advances we will start seeing even more professionally altered cards show up in "safe" holders - there is always someone out there who will do anything to make a buck.

Regarding who altered the card to begin with...there is no proof as to who actually did this. I'm sure that some of you on the board DO know who altered the Cobb, but I don't expect that the answer is ever going to be posted on this board. For every unscrupulous card dealer there are dozens of normally honest collectors who continue to turn their heads the other way when things like this occur. Joe P - I would think that with your investigatory skills and incredible connections to everyone in the hobby, that you would have the answer for us by now? Get on it man.