View Single Post
Old 10-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Default Simply amazing - the doctored Cobb is back

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

I bought the card in the GAI holder and crossed it to SGC prior to knowing the history. The card sat on my webpage for months in both the GAI and SGC holders. It was also listed on ebay twice with a reserve and did not sell.

In March I placed it up with no reserve and it sold for $750. At that time Scott identified the card as being one he had owned. He posted an image of the card illustrating its condition when in his possession. I told the buyer of the card I could not sell it since it appeared that it may have been restored and I refunded his money. I sent the card back to SGC who offered to buy it back from me at $750. I declined and asked they send the card back to me in an ungraded state. I received $200 in free grading for my gesture.

In May I sold the card for $200 to a customer disclosing the history. He did not feel that the card was altered and sent it to PSA and they graded it. I informed Scott of this at the time and sent him a scan of the card in the PSA holder and Scott assured me he would not post about the card anymore and stir up controversy.

In Mid July my customer's Father died and he needed money. I met him at the National and purchased his collection. At the same show I sold the card to Wayne along with several other pre war cards. As I told Scott today, I made a judgment call not to go into the history of the card with Wayne. The card had been graded by GAI, SGC and now PSA. To me it was now irrelevant.

Contrary to what some of the board (bored) experts write, this card does not light up like a Christmas tree. I examined the card in an ungraded state under high band and low band blacklights after SGC sent it back to me. NO COLOR WAS ADDED TO THIS CARD. It seems the card was rolled out. There was still evidence of the tear or flap on the back as well. It appeared to be nothing more than a break in the paper stock from the surface crease.

Wayne is owed an apology. Wayne is a great guy and an honorable dealer.