View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Default For Trade: 1860s Baseball Stereoview

Posted By: Joe D.

this is a general board type inquiry, but since the item is up for trade on the b/s/t --- I thought the general board was no longer an appropriate place to discuss the item - so here goes.....

(I would love any comments. I don't care if you trash the item or praise it... I am in no hurry to get rid of it, and I consider this fair game for any comment.)

1) Value? I have been asked to give this item a value (more than one inquiry). Quite honestly, I was just looking for an intriguing trade... but I think value info might be helpful to myself and to others who are looking into baseball stereoviews. I am a rookie on baseball stereoviews. It seems from other threads in the 19c b/s/t that values can be all over the place. Any opinions on value would be appreciated. All comments are fair game.

2) Photography in general took hold in the 1840s-ish (I believe)... and this particular stereoview most likely dates to 1860s (possibly early 1870s). I have not seen an earlier photograph of the game of baseball being played. I am not going to proclaim this the earliest (I am not that brash nor am I that learned)...
but are there other known -earlier- photographs of the game of baseball being played? Is this 'one' of the earliest examples? Again, I realize I am opening myself up to negative comments about the item. I don't mind and appreciate anything that is posted.

Regards,
Joe

P.S. --- if this type of post goes against rules - please delete and accept my apologies.