View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Default 2nd December Pick Up Thread

Posted By: Mark

Thanks, Carlton...

I really believe the statue/trophy depicts Walter Johnson. The follow-through pose is identical to so many pictures I have seen of Johnson pitching. I can see how it resembles a young Ruth, but the nose is all wrong... the Bambino had a much wider/broader nose. Plus, the Babe threw lefty.

Your full Trophy is nearly identical to mine (see below...) I have only seen 4 of these with the base included, and ours are the only two to have this particular style base. I bet the others have had replacement or refurbished wood bases, as ours appear to be original.

I like the statue particularly because the finish is so much different than the Trophy. It is shiny solid brass instead of the darker copper-toned metal finish normally seen (as with our trophies...)

A final question for Carlton (or anyone else who might know...) The Testi Batter/Catcher Statues that just snuck it into your picture above are stunning. Is there a way to tell the originals from the reproductions? Mike H. told me that there were some repros at the National, and I was wondering about the tell-tale signs. Please advise if you can, and thanks so much!

[linked image]