View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Default Help With 1920's Detroit Tigers Jersey-

Posted By: Brock G.

I just got this 1920's era Tigers gamer and I need some help trying to nail down the year and player. It came from a seller in Michigan who got it at a flea market. The seller wrote that he bought a glass pitcher and the man he bought it from used this jersey to wrap up the pitcher. He later returned and asked about the jersey and the man said his grandparents were neighbors with a trainer for Tigers in the 1920s and he obtained several jersey from his time with the Tigers. I guess he figured they had little value today.
Anyway, thats the back-story.
Unfortunately the patch on the chest is long gone but you can clearly see the blue-ish colored area in the vague shape of a D. So Its definitely a Tigers jersey. The name on stitched on the name tag is "Johnson". The only two players named Johnson from that era are Syl Johnson (1922-1925) and Roy Johnson (1929-1932). [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The jersey was made by Horace Partridge. Can anyone help me put a year with this tag?
[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the link to uniform database showing images of Tiger uniforms from this time period- http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=&city=Detroit&lowYear=1920&highYear=1933&sort=year&increment=18

I have little knowledge of game-used anything, but I do know pre-war flannels are rare. Obviously the missing 'D' on the chest hurts its value but is the jersey still worth having authenticated? The jersey is in great shape outside of the missing patch. Thanks for any help you can lend.