Thread: Pennant fever
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Default Pennant fever

Posted By: Rob D.

Mark,

How to hold the pennant in place was a topic discussed at length with the framer, who said that the archival method would be to build a ridge (for lack of a better word) around the edge of the mat and have the glass rest on that (and not on the pennant). The pennant is secured to the mat with a few stitches.

Upon telling me that -- and seeing the look of horror on my face -- the framer went to the back and returned with the thread and needle. Honestly, I don't know how they thread the needle, because the thread (think: fishing line) is so thin and fine, it's tough to see (literally). And the needle is almost equally small. Plus, she said when they made the stitches, they didn't come through the pennant but rather "caught" enough of the felt without piercing it and brought the thread back through the mat, then tied it off.

They made stitches only on the top edge of the pennant (4 to 5) and one each on the ties. I've spent a total of 15-20 minutes searching, and I've yet to find any evidence of thread or a stitch.

I'm sold that this is the way to go rather than have pressure applied to the back of the pennant and have it press against the glass.