View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Default Removing Authentication Stickers?

Posted By: davidcycleback

The PSA/DNA stickers are designed to not pull off in once piece. This is what makes them tamper evident. I'd leave it on.

I tried to remove a PSA/DNA sticker once. I had a group lot LOA with the sticker on the LOA. After selling all the autographs singly, I was left with the LOA and figured I'd see what it was like to remove the sticker-- I was writing an article on forensic security marking techings at the time, so it counted as homework. One might be able to remove the sticker, but there likely would be an ugly residue left behind. What I did learn was it would be difficult to remove a PSA/DNA sticker from one item to indiscreetly place it on the other-- as the sticker is designed to be ruined if removed. An unsightly blight some might call it-- a lot of game used collectors don't like stickers or holograms either on their bats or jerseys either-- but the tag is an effective forensic marker.

In case you want to know, one of the most practical and effective forensic records is photographs. If you lay out your cards or autographs or memorabilia and take good photographs of them, that would be important record in case of theft, dispute or such. Good digital photos of an autograph baseball can be an even better record than an invisible DNA daub on the ball.

I can also advise that, in case of dispute (theft, ownership dispute, etc), if you were the type of person to well document your purchases-- date diary of purchases, keep receipts or other record of purchases, photograph collection-- a judge or arbiter will be far more likely to believe your recollection of disputed events than someone who kept no records.