View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Default George Grantham Bain photo

Posted By: Rhys

You are not going to be able to remove the Parrino sticker without at least sticky residue on the back. I usually slowly peel the sticker away and then use something like Mineral Spirits or something in LOW amounts (on a q-tip or something) to remove the residue.

As far as the Culver stamps (I think the blue ones you have are adhesive stamps but I could be wrong) I wouldn't mess with them. I do not belive those either add or detract from the value and in many cases it add's to the provenance and appeal of a photo to know it came from a major archive.

These are considered type 1 photos I believe which is a period print from the original negative. At least that is the impression I have been operating on for years. Most of mine (and probably yours behind the stickers) have a date stamp as well.

In the 1940's through the 1960's a photographer named Sy Seidman re-shot a bunch of Bain photos. I believe he did this to enlarge them and because old Bain photos tend to be somewhat brittle when handled a lot. He actually took photos of the photos and did not use the original negatives. I believe these would be type 2 Bain photos so if you ever a photo that looks old and has his name handwritten on the back, they are still collectible but not period to the negative. Hope that helps.

Rhys Yeakley