View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Default Grading Companies (Overview & Opinions)

Posted By: jamie

1.) Which of three major companies do you use and trust the most and why?

>SGC- I've never heard an instance of a trimmed card making it into one of their holders

2.) Which of the above companies seems to have better resale if any in your opinion?

>PSA

3.) Do you feel graded cards have had a positive or negative effect on our hobby?

>Both. On one hand, they've made the prices for low-mid grade cards plummet, which, for the collector on a budget, is very good news. But the move from cardboard to antiseptic slabs of plastic with a premium given for the least amount of handling is a little troubling. It sort of takes some of the fun away from what used to be a hobby.

4.) Do you feel ultra high-end mega buck cards are a sound investment, or overpriced hype and marketing?

I'm guessing the grading phenomenon is here to stay. High-end collectors are always looking for a way to get a leg-up on their competitors and this would seem to be the defining way. The PSA set registry has fueled a lot of this.

5.) Does having your cards graded always assure you better profits when selling vs. non-graded?

>yes- I can't think of an instance where it wouldn't.

6.) Which of the above companies is the most consistent in there grading in your opinion?

>GAI and I also think they're the toughest

7.) Do you feel any of the above companies are biased or give special treatment and considerations to larger customers of there’s. As compared to the avg. consumer?

>PSA- I've seen numerous threads about certain dealers walking off with handfuls of 10's

8.) Do you ever feel graded cards and companies will go away or will they become even more prominent in our hobby?

>more prominent and probably will find other ways to scrutinize cards