Thread: Favorite card?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2004, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Default Favorite card?

Posted By: Chuck Ross

My collection is mainly 1930's non-sports, but I do have a modest collection of baseball from 1880s to 1960s. My favorite card is the 1952 Topps card of Gus Zernial. It shows him (wearing a pink T-shirt under his A's uniform), holding a bat that has six baseballs attached and giving the "OK" sign with his left hand. I actually wrote a short article on this card for either Tuff Stuff or SCD back in the early 90's, after I had corresponded with both Zernial and Sy Berger of Topps. I can't find a copy of the article at the moment but I seem to remember that the card was commemorating Zernial hitting 6 homers in three games. I also remember that Berger said that they had taped the baseballs to the bat (I had always wondered how they got them to stick there) and Zernial told me that his undershirt really was pink. I thought maybe my card was miscolored, but he said his wife had mixed something red in with the white laundry. I have a scan of the card but when I go to the post page I don't see the "Insert Object" button, so perhaps someone else has the card and can post it. It really is one of a kind.