View Single Post
Old 06-29-2004, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Default What to expect at the national

Posted By: warshawlaw

I envy you; the first time to a show of this magnitude is like a pilgrimmage to Mecca (or Wrigley Field). For the vintage collector, the National is a great chance to find difficult cards and good cards at good prices, if you shop around.

I usually prepare mentally by making a written list of cards that I will jump on at just about any price (such as a card of my cousin the boxer) and those that I want but can wait for if I cannot find it at a price I like (such as T206s). I generally do not look for anything I can commonly find on ebay or at local shows (such as 1950's HOFers), unless the prices are just amazing. I also make sure my checklists are updated and printed out. You never know when you will run across something from a set you are building, so you want to have checklists available. Don't forget the pencil.

I don't know what your finances are like, but if I am taking days off from work and traveling across the country to attend a show, I'm going in HEAVY; for 3-4 days with at least $5,000 to spend, plus lots of trading fodder.

When I get there, I usually walk through the hall quickly to scope out the likely areas of interest. The shows are big and the aisles are marked. If you see a booth you like, ask the dealer for his name and booth number and write it down so you can find it later on. I recommend bypassing all of the corporate booths and all of the major dealers with banners, and dealers who are heavy on graded cards in shiny display cases with special lighting, unless something really catches my eye. I know those guys are high-end retailers and I don't need anything that badly.

The best deals are in the booths that are a bit sloppier, quirkier, with cards spilling out all over the place, homemade showcases, etc. Be ready to dig right in and plow through lots of crapola in boxes and albums in search of "buried treasure". I've found some amazing cards stuck into corners in booths that look like a teenager's closet (sorry). Remember to haggle hard, even if the prices are good. You never know what you will get by way of discounts unless you ask.

I also avoid socializing (sorry folks) for the first few hours, at least until I've scoped out the show and gotten some idea of what is available. Hey' I'm workin' here!!

Watch the crowds--often, a booth that is mobbed is a "blow out" booth run by a major auction house or dealer looking to dump excess inventory. I've gotten some amazing deals at tables like that, after elbowing my way into the scrum.

If you are really into prewar vintage cards, expect that at least 50% of the tables will be of no interest to you whatsoever. Another 20% will have old cards that will either be (1) unaffordable or (2) too "new" for your tastes. I usually end up buying from no more than 5-10 tables at a National; finding them is the challenge.

Bring a backpack with bottled water and some dry foods that will tide you over. I usually pack some jerky and trail mix. You don't want to eat the food at most convention halls. Not only does it waste time and cost a fortune, but you run the risk of a nasty bellyache. One too many bad convention chili dogs; I've learned my lesson.

Lastly, don't be cheap; buy the VIP admission package. If you are going to the trouble of going to a National, especially from far away, the last thing you want to do is stand in line. I had the misfortune of doing the 1991 National (the legendary 100,000+ attendance show) without a pass. Spent hours in line the first day. Fortunately, a dealer friend took pity on me and loaned me a badge to get in for the remaining days. For all subsequent shows, I've purchased the VIP package and have had no problems.

Have a great time.