View Single Post
Old 04-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Default Last night's "debate" .....some interesting observations.

Posted By: MW

David & Adam,

Some great points. I don't think there's any question that some grading companies (I'm thinking of one in particular) has cultivated a rather limited and sheltered sports card philosophy among some small-minded collectors that "altered" is a four letter word. And so what happens? I point out that I've sent cards to Dick Towle (none of which are graded or have been offered for sale) and the PSA minions label me as a liar and a cheat. I find this genuinely amusing. How would a mature individual or someone of even average intelligence look at the use of a restoration expert?

Think about the art world or any of the expansive collectible hobbies. Whether we're talking about professionally restored paintings, classic automobiles, antique furniture, movie posters or vintage photographs, an advanced working knowledge of restoration (both minor and major alterations) is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL when one is buying or selling on a regular basis. Would a major auction house that employs a restoration expert to thoroughly examine a painting from one of the great Renaissance masters be labeled as a liar or a cheat? Do we put MORE trust in antique salesmen when they know NOTHING about restoration and only sell items "as is"?

Adam makes an astute observation when he explains that all alterations, whether restoration or removal, are lumped into one very nonspecific and often misleading category. Quite simply put, this is a way for grading companies to scare the public into using their services. Adam hits the nail squarely on the head. Let's not be small or simple minded like the ignorant group of PSA collectors across the street who base their buying decisions on the number on the top of the holder and who don't know the first thing about "restoration" because they've been taught by the PSA gods that it just isn't allowed. Let's make an effort to educate ourselves -- just like everyone has done in every other major collectibles market.