View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Default Stealing: experiences with.

Posted By: jay behrens

My home broken into once and various cards and memoribilia along with all my CDs and video games. The person that stole these items was a friend of a lady I had just broken up with and I had just taken all my high end cards out of the safe deposit box to do a show that next. My original plans were to do the show with my GF, so when only these cards were stolen, my thoughts immedently were of her and her freind I met that she said had been covicted of theft.

When I met the guy, he had asked me about cards and I told him I wasn't too worried about theft as I dealt in high end, very expensive cards and would be almost impossible for anyone to steal them and unload them without me finding out. Iw as on the phone right away calling evry dealer in Northern California I knew and told them what cards had been stolen (e254 Cobb with a very disctint print line, a NM Mikan Bowman, NM n162 Anson, etc).

A few days later I got a phone call from a local Sacramento dealer telling me that someone was coming to his store to show him a signed Ryan rookie, a e254 Cobb and other cards, all mine that were stolen. I got there before the guy with the cards did. The dealer happened to have an office door with a two way window so he a sherrif's delputy that arrived and I stayed back there waiting for him to show. There were also a couple of regular customers standing around, ready tot ackle the guy if tried to run. The person I suspected of stealing the cards walked thru the door and placed the cards on the counter. I told the deputy that the was the guy and those were my cards. I walked out, said "Hi! Steve". He was shocked and then tried to run, but the customers grabbed and the deputy took him down. He claimed that some guy in the parking lot asked him to sell the cards for him and that he would give him 40% of whatever he got, lmao!!!

I got back all but 2 cards (a Schmidt rookie and Brett rookie) and he was convicted of the theft and breaking and entering. Cal had just instituted the 3 strikes program and he was one of the first to hammered with 3 strikes law

Have I changed anything since then? No. What is collect is generally not mainstream and these easy to identify if someone tried to unload anything I collect.

Jay