Thread: PSA vs GAI
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Default PSA vs GAI

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Here. A week or so ago, I wanted to buy a graded T206 Doc White Card. I only dabble in t206s, but I like Doc White. I bid $63 on a PSA 5, my marker toward what I hoped would be a relatively inexpensive card. It went for $180.00, and yes, it had a Soveregn back, slightly more difficult. I did not see an SGC card of any grade for Doc, but I am truly skeptical an SGC 60 would have fetched that price. If someone wants to show me a completed auction of a comparable SGC card that garnered even half that price, please do so.

Now I am not looking to find one special auction solely to prove my point- I merely point to one card that caught my eye. Still, this is not an anomoly, as I learned by investing the last 10 minutes in researching completed ebay auctions. There, I saw 8 auctions of PSA 5 t206 commons that sold for 99.99 or more, up to 170.38. This is just Piedmont and Sweet Cap backs. I didn't even see 8 SGC 60s for sale at all, and the 5 I actually saw all went between $65 and $88. Also, I noticed that a PSA 4 Foley White sold for $115 while a lightly lower graded SGC 40 sold
for $56.19.

In light of the foregoing, I find it difficult to criticize those who choose to sell their t206s in PSA holders. I also I find it both incredible and condescending to suggest that those who believe PSA pre-war cards generally sell better than SGC are somehow relying on "imagined" data for their beliefs.
Buyers and sellers are free to make their own choices, without getting bogged down in this us vs. them, I know more than you, "you're either with us or against us" bullroar. I say vive la difference, competition is good, and enjoy your hobby.