Thread: pet peeve
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Default pet peeve

Posted By: runscott

This is a great board, but many times I have asked questions about vintage cards, knowing that the expertise was out there among other board members, and not gotten a response. Many times the reason was simply that responding wouldn't benefit the responder, or might provide "expert" information that others could use to locate items and therefore become competition. When I really want an answer to a vintage question, I don't post here - I call an expert and get an answer. Unfortunately, the information doesn't get shared.

I wonder if there could be a different board format that would encourage more open communication among members and perhaps attract some of the experts who simply lurk at the moment?

This board is great because it opens the hobby up to novices, allows true collectors to locate others in the hobby, and does provide a great communication mechanism. But would it be a good idea to have a corollary board "by invitation" where members would be less afraid to express their responses because they wouldn't have to worry about lurkers, scammers, Roy Huffs, Harleyman, 2003 Topps collectors, etc.?

I've looked into it, and it could be done easily, even with Net 54 - just requires people to become Net 54 members (free) and provide their handle/email address to the moderator by signing up for the appropriate group, to be added to a "group list" at the moderator's disgression. No one else would be able to even enter the forum. I already have a mailing list of everyone who participates actively on this board, and some upstanding members of the hobby who don't participate on this board, so initial set-up would be easy. Any lurkers out there who think this is a decent idea?