View Single Post
Old 08-16-2003, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Default A couple of nagging N172 Old Judge questions

Posted By: Jay Miller

Dave--That's interesting. Do you know anything about the purple tinged cards? The purple color seems not to alter the pictures quality. In fact, it seems to enhance it if that is possible. The other question I would have is why do certain pinkish cards only show a slight deterioration of the photo clarity while with others the image is almost completely lost. Does this represent Goodwin experimenting with different dye mixtures? If so, why did the company issue the unsuccessful tests?
As to whether these are variations I guess that depends on one's defination of a variation. Since each Old Judge card was a seperate photo cut from a seperate sheet almost every card is different from every other card in some small (and sometimes not so small) way. I rarely would consider cards of the same player from the same year with the same Goodwin advertising as being different variations but in fact there are often non-trivial differences between these cards. If you start adding in tint then you'll need a Manhattan yellow pages sized book to list them all. At least I think we all agree that the pink tinged cards are of inferior photo quality and, as such, to most collectors less desireable.