View Single Post
Old 05-08-2003, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Default Ebay wins again, dammit

Posted By: Hankron

I'm not sure who Adam was posting specifically against. If it was against me, I point out that both my posts were 100% factually accurate. 1) The guy is a lawyer. I probably got that fact from the same article you read. I used the term 'whacko' as that was the term you used in your post. I personally was not calling anyone a whacko, which is why I used the quotes ... 2) Whether or not 'zealous' was an accurate or desirable adjective is debatable (if someone finds that a loaded word and wishes to remove it from the post that is fine, though I didn't use it to be inflamitory. In fact, I bet that many legal textbooks regularly use the term 'zealous' in describing how lawyer must act according to the law, and am certain that many lawyers, such as private defenders, would be disbarred if they were not zealous as advocates), but my second post was also accurate. Lawyers are, by job defifition, advocates (I suppose we all are, but as much by job definition and legal requirement). The mere fact that a common phrase is 'opposing lawyers' points out that not all lawyers are neccesarilly advocates of the same ideas (I understand and appreceate how the legal system works with opposing 'zealous' advocates of a side or idea producing a legal truth).

I was well aware that two of the posters in the thread were lawyers and was not trying to be provative or inflamatory. Besides, complaining about lawyers is such a cliche. For the record, I am also aware that that famous quote from a Shakespere was said by the bad guy in the play, and that it is ammusingly ironic that lawyer-bashers use it.