View Single Post
Old 08-23-2002, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Default Grade Tech- corner magnification question

Posted By: petecld

Todd,

<<Corners are my personal gauge of preference on eye appeal, . . . >>

Exactly my point of the last post! If your judgement is based on "eye" appeal then what are the micro images really worth to you? Seriously, think about it. If you trust your eyes then what added value are the magnified corner images? Will you now second guess yourself on how good of an assessment YOU can make on a card? That's a sad message to send a consumer.

I work in the printing/graphics field and there is no industry standard for loupe magnification that I'm aware of. It is based on need. Newspaper printers can get by with a 10X - 20X loupe. Printing that requires a finer level of printing will normally use 20X to 40X. I don't know if there is a standard magnification used by card grading companies.

You did kinda point out why this whole issue is really nothing but hype. Of course, if the existing and accepted companies use 10X or 12X then of course to out do them Grade-tech uses 20X and uses it as hype. THAT'S called advertising. If so then where does it stop? Will there be "tier" grading?

T206 Mathewson
Grade-tech 7 at 20X
Grade-tech 6.5 at 40x
Grade-tech 6 at 60X

Note: will all mean nothing if they can't authenticate a card.

If this seems silly then again, seriously ask yourself what added value does this offer you and what does it have to do with what you SHOULD be paying for - the SERVICE - the experience, ability, skill and consistency of the person doing the grading.

I'll be the first to admit, the micro-pics are a great gimmick for getting attention but they will need to do more than that to keep submitters coming back.

I know you would NEVER guess this by my posts but I do wish them well in starting this new company. They may very well prove to be top-notch graders and the collectors will flock to them. BUT, collectors will flock to them for the service they provide - NOT the pretty little pictures they put on the CDs or the holders.