View Single Post
Old 08-19-2002, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Default Another Example of Why there should be restrictions on Private Auctions

Posted By: David

Koos, I've never bid and retracted in an auction.

I always contact the seller first. I have, when I felt it neccesary and with NO appologies, contacted the bidder where there is a serious problem that will significantly effect the value. In non-private auctions one is able to contact a bidder (a service eBay provides to its users). And, unless I am mistaken, it is my right as an American to email other people.

I will give you an example of when I contacted a seller. A seller was selling a high priced '1839 carte de visite' of a famous American. The problem is that cartes de visite had not been invented until many years after 1839. I contacted the seller and said something to the effect, "It appears you made a mistake, as the carte did not exist at the time you describe." In this case, the seller thanked me for talking to him before the carte had sole, changed the auction description and everyone one was happy.

I very rarely contact sellers or bidders, and only do it when I am certain that I am right and that misrepresentation significantly effects the value of an item. I make no appoligies for this and never will.