View Single Post
Old 05-13-2024, 08:25 PM
Eric Perry

Not surprisingly, the 1988 Fleer Mini was also in the box.

This issue is very similar to the '87. Again, the card was part of a 120 card box set. The design is the same as the regular base set; however, a different photo was used and the card front is glossy.

Interestingly, I saw this card (and the 1988 Fleer set) in a whole new way tonight.

For starters, it's over 35 years old. Damn, that's a long time. Other than me, my dad was the only person who ever owned this card. Yes, I realize an '88 Fleer card isn't exactly a family heirloom. Still, it's cool that he and I have had it this long.

Secondly, the design is visually appealing to me now. In the past, I'd always thought it was bland and uninspiring. I guess it grew on me. Nostalgia may be coloring my opinion here, but it is a clean looking design. Plus, I've always been a fan of red, white, and blue.

Lastly, I was 16 years old in 1988. Like many of us, I remember those days fondly. Seeing this card for the first time in a while took me back there (in my mind) for a moment. Memories are a powerful (and sometimes wonderful) thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1988-Fleer-Mini-41-Don-Mattingly.jpg (197.3 KB, 122 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra