View Single Post
Old 04-28-2024, 09:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hi Frank
Thanks for the thoughts. I think the Tigers won the series in 1935, and St. Louis in 1934. So, I would think this card would probably have to have been made in later 1935, since it says Pennant Winners? Unless, of course, this was an error, or maybe they meant the League Pennant Winners? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I've not seen one of those before, nor do I recall seeing that photo. Some of the players aren't wearing sleeves, I'm guessing it's from early in the 1934 season.

In that photo image, Cy Perkins is sitting next to player manager Cochrane. Cy was a coach that year, because Cochrane wanted his assistance. Perkins was a catcher, as was Cochrane (although surely everyone here would know that)... Perkins was done playing as the 1931 season ended, he was with the Yankees. But Cochrane puts him in for one last at bat. Starting pitcher Tommy Bridges left the game after 4 innings, ahead 4-0, he got the win that day, his 22nd, different rules back then. Cy Perkins pinch hit; and grounded out 5-3. Three years after what he thought was his last at bat, he found himself batting again. That may well be Perkins' last "card."

Last edited by Leon; 04-28-2024 at 09:55 AM.