View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 01:47 PM
Frank Bev.ilac.qua

Default What is the current state of prices??

Pricing lately has been pretty all over the place. Some prices have come crashing down from 2022 peaks, some have only declined slightly, and others are randomly all over the place. It's made it hard to gauge where prices are going and how to value/price certain cards. I primarily focus on T206, so that's where my numbers are based. For example,

T206 Magee Portrait with an Old Mill back. A PSA 4 sold in June 2021 for $5,160. That same card sold in Feb 2022 for $10,224. A PSA 5 sold in April 2022 for $9,600. That exact same PSA 5 card sold last night in REA for $3,000 after the buyer's premium. I know card pricing is down from the peak prices we saw in 2022, but a ~70% decline is pretty steep.

In REA last night, an SGC 3 Cobb with Bat off sold for $9,900. A PSA 3 Cobb with Bat off sold for $6,900 in the exact same auction. Both had Piedmont backs, and both had great coloring and centering. The SGC card had stronger corners, but I'm not sure it's worth a ~40% premium over the PSA 3 that was in the same auction.

I also saw many pricing disparities at the Strongsville show this past weekend as well, with some cards being priced upwards of almost double what other dealers had the same card, same grade, same card back priced for.

I know I am rambling, but what are your thoughts, are prices stabilizing now, are they heating up again, or are they still falling?