View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 11:04 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I troll ebay strictly for pennants and have done so pretty religiously for the past 10+ years. It used to be like shooting fish in a barrel, to the point I was spending way more money than my wife was comfortable with. There was just that much good stuff. But that all seemed to change during Covid.

I think the number of eBay trolls (this a term of endearment, not a critique) increased exponentially during lockdown and has never reverted back to the good old days when it was just me...and maybe one or two other guys. There was still plenty of good stuff, but you had to be quick on the draw to get it. Annoying for sure but not hopeless.

Fast forward to today and eBay is dead. I can go hours without searching and still only find a handful of new listings when I go back. And the good stuff has largely diseappeared, replaced by a never ending supply of cheap, redundant, modern garbage. Even when I check the sold listings, I rarely find things I'm disappointed to have missed.

Are other areas of collecting experiencing this as well? Are people not selling any more? If they are...Where?
Yep nobody wants to pay taxes. They are still selling just on other venues that they can avoid paying taxes on. Depending on how the tax thing goes we might see eBay back to its glory. I seen a piece saying the reporting limit was going to be $5000. If it goes to that several will go back to just using several IDs to stay under reporting limits and a lot of stuff will appear on eBay again.

EDIT to add: They sent me an email yesterday saying they are going to change all my shipping fees to whatever they believe the price would be if I buy shipping from them. They said I can opt out for one month. Seems they are trying to force everyone to purchase shipping through them.

Last edited by bnorth; 04-18-2024 at 11:12 AM.