View Single Post
Old 02-29-2024, 02:29 PM
C0ry R0b!n$0n

Default Slab size

I prefer the look of SGC slabs (all t206 for me), but I actually prefer the smaller PSA slabs - it takes less room to store them (and ship them). I would prefer a grader that uses a smaller and easy to store slab - specifically for T206 cards - with a nice way to present them - maybe a 9 slot binder that holds the smaller slabs. Not sure what the smallest effective slab could be.

I don't use the registry - but lots of people seem to find value in that - so a registry would be a good addition.

I do use the PSA pop reports pretty frequently - those are really nice. SGC's is kind of a pain in the ass to use (or I don't know how to use it effectively). Likely none of the others are large enough to be useful, yet?

As far as other graders I think I have one BVG slab - seems too big, and another that I can't recall (MBA?) that's just a card saver with a holo tag on it. No experience with any others.

Given that I'm focused on the low end (A to 2) - with a goal of getting the best looking card at the cheapest price, I have lots of A's and 1's. So I would like a much more nuanced 1 grade (or maybe I don't because I buy the card not the grade?). Not sure how to do it, but I have 1's that look near mint (as least as much as a 115 year old card, can) because they have small paperloss or writing or some other small flaw on the back and I have 1's that look like they've been in a blender. Maybe PWCC's Eye appeal rating, solves this? Or a 1.1 to 1.9 rating - flaw x (paperloss, crease, mark, etc.) automatically gets you a category 1 rating, but beside that flaw the card presents as a 1-9. Or they could add a 0 grade - not altered, still a number grade, just a 0. Just spitballing.

All that being said - It's gonna be hard to supplant the leaders - there is definitely a winner take most effect here - but some of these other graders can maybe carve out profitable niches - for example you can't justify grading lower value cards when the cost to slab is $15 to $20 - so there's space for a low cost grader - just don't know how profitable it would be.