View Single Post
Old 02-10-2024, 03:08 PM
Curt

Its across the board though, not just stars and mega stars. I saw someone post on a facebook group recently a bunch of 1990-92 UD if I am remembering correctly. He got about a dozen or so signed at private signings. Nothing was less than $10 and they went up from there. These were not big names either. In my mind, most were $3-5 cards, but he was willing to pay $20-30 for them. His money, his choice.

People seem to just be willing to pay quite a bit more now than years back, not only autographs, but everything. I think we are still fighting with buyers who came back to the hobby during Covid with no real feel for the market, just paying whatever it took to win what they wanted. Fighting each other and pricing out those who had a nice pulse on the market, as those existing hobbyists were just shaking their heads at what people were paying for stuff.

Most of those cards are probably easily found for sale on ebay or elsewhere for a few bucks, but even that type of deal seems to be drying up. I used to be able to pick up a good number of vintage 60s/70s and sometimes even 50s signed cards in ebay auctions, semi-stars and fan favorites, for a few bucks each. Now I see those often selling for $10-15 and more. I might bid on 25-50 cards now and win 2 on a good day.

I am happy that I started buying autographs when I did, because if I started now, there wouldn't even be a chance I'd keep going.