View Single Post
Old 02-07-2024, 12:36 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by facex002 View Post
I posted this over on the post-war forum, but thought I'd ask you all also, since my interests span both groups.

My collection has never involved building sets, but there are some that I really like and am thinking about taking the plunge. For those of you who build sets, I have a few questions: 1. Are there particular strategies you follow in building your sets? 2. Do you build multiple sets at once, or does that make it too difficult and you focus on one at a time? 3. Do you prefer all raw, all graded or a combo and why? 4. Finally, what is the best way to store sets (in-progress or completed) so that you can also enjoy seeing the cards?

Thanks,
Tim
1) Yes. I prefer to get the expensive ones outta' the way first and focus on the cheaper ones after. Doing it the other way around, IMO, is not a good idea. Let's say you leave the big whale in the set for last, but what if it goes up by 10K while you were busy chasing the commons? Then you're gonna' be screwed in the end (unless you're willing to pay up!)

2) Sometimes I do build multiple sets at once, but I think it's better to just focus on one set at a time. It's more enjoyable that way.

3) I prefer to put my raw sets in plastic binder pages, however, the really expensive cards are slabbed and put away elsewhere. If a card is a thousand-bucks, then I still don't mind keeping it in raw state and putting it in the plastic binder page with the others, however, a 5K card has to be in a PSA slab.

4) Read above.