View Single Post
Old 02-07-2024, 08:47 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Poorly cut for sure. But if sheet cut, it would not come out bat-eared like that, would it?

BTW, I believe it is "pique your interest". Although it is probably a mute point.
Lol, yes I "de-frenched" the saying as it always has vexed my logic for as long as I can remember. In my my early college French the etymology has piqued as a poke or annoyance, It never flows right in my head to be annoyed to the point of interest. To me, and I know it's wrong and will fall on my sword, it in Americanized English does "peak" it in my mind. Wayyyy to much info on a what is essentially a personal preference (and wrong to any English teacher),

As for bat ears, my thought is that would be pretending a more advanced attempt to deceived when these were never meant too. I collect 1948 Bowman Basketball grayback errors, and early Bowman errors in general. These are all dumpster scrap and in lore from locals near the printer would be handed out from the back door to neighborhood kids. Uncut Bowman is, in my mind, some of the most common scrap in vintage. while many sheets survived, the majority were trimmed with scissors by kids and absolutely look it. Many of them have been retrimmed to clean it up a bit but finding a hack job, especially with the 48 basketball is commonplace.

I am not saying that a poor trim is not a possibility. The card exhibits some signs of kid cuts with the width of the card at the top and that the trim does absolutely nothing to have improved the card. Why trim to make it worse, or are you trimming to make it an individual card?. I agree the wax causes doubt in my mind and why I pointed it as the confusing factor.

I am not sure if Leaf was printed in the same facility, but I have seen a good quantity of scrap as well for that series. There have been several uncut 48 leaf boxing and baseball sheets that have popped up that the kids scissors didn't get to.

It's not a big whoop, I just posted my thoughts...people can take or leave it, lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.