View Single Post
Old 01-24-2024, 05:11 PM

Default Hof

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying Mattingly didn't have some better years than Hernandez at his very peak. The issue is Mattingly only had 3 amazing years (1984-86), 3 good years (1987-89), and then not much.

Hernandez had 3 amazing years, 2 great years, 4 good years, and a few decent years. Remember, Hernandez had 3 top 5 MVP finishes (including his win), and got MVP votes 6 other times.

It doesn't hurt that Hernandez was a key player on World Series winning teams in two different cities. Mattingly played on some great Yankees teams, but played in a single playoff series (which he played great in, but they lost).

Growing up in the NY suburbs, I loved Mattingly. I still remember the day I got his Rookie Card when I was 8 years old--my first big baseball card purchase (not a great investment). I didn't see Hernandez's best days. But its hard not to see Hernandez' value.
As a point of reference on your championship comparison for Mattingly vs. Hernandez, Mattingly was consistently a victim of being part of great run producing teams with mediocre pitching at best. Both the Cardinals & Mets boasted strong to outstanding pitching staffs for Hernandez’s two championships. No solid pitching….no championships. FYI, I totally respected Hernandez and think both him and Mattingly merit a closer look at joining the HOF. It’s certainly not a “hands down” decision, but the argument can be made for either side (especially considering some of the “suspect” choices being made over the years).

Regarding the Clemens, Bonds, Alex Rodriguez HOF issue, it may boil down to were these players HOF caliber BEFORE they subjected themselves to PEDS. The answer to that question is YES. However, are we now in a baseball environment whereby any player who is safely assumed to have participated in taking steroids to elevate their performance automatically banned from Cooperstown? Don’t know if there is a definitive answer to that question. I will say this….I find it very troubling that baseball’s all time hit, home run and Cy Young Award kings are all excluded from Cooperstown. It truly places a black mark on the game. I am an avid pitching coach in my spare time, and can promise you that so many aspiring young ball players partake in some form of performance enhancing drugs (illegal or legal) because there is simply too much money at stake. Whether it is jockeying for position to achieve a potential MLB high draft pick slot or besting their peers for a college scholarship, PEDs are widespread at some particular level. When does it end? It won’t because the almighty dollar rules most people’s lives. Sad to say, this is where our National Pastime is at.

Last edited by Vintageclout; 01-24-2024 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Spelling