View Single Post
Old 01-06-2024, 03:43 PM
Ken Marks

Default 1962 Post Cereal Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Charlie,

Very nice panels. There are two variations of the 1962 Post Cereal Brooks Robinson. I can't tell for sure from your pictures, but is one version on each of the two different boxes? If not, does that mean Brooks appeared on another unknown box.

Here are the two variations I'm referencing ...

Attachment 603898
I think Charlie either showed or talked about the panels that Brooks Robinson appeared on in the 1962 post baseball promotion. He was on four different cereal panels. Alphabets 8 ounce. Crispy critters 8 ounce. Post Toasties 12 ounce regular box. Post Toasties spout box. Charlie showed pictures of the two different Post Toasties boxes. And if you’re a master set Collector of the 1962 Post Cereal, you’re looking for over 500 cards, four of which are different Brooks Robinsons. Each of the different Brooks Robinson cards has distinguishable differences from the other three cards that are tied to which cereal box it came from.

Post Cereal during production, used the same panel for the alphabets and the crispy critter boxes. Similarly, they used the same panel on both variations of the different post toasties boxes. There are no cropping differences in the picture between the alphabets/Crispy critter Cards. Similarly there are no differences the two different Post Toasties box cards. There are cropping differences between the two sets of cards. The CC/AB have more of the batting hand, and more of the patch, showing at the bottom of the cards, than the PT cards. There are other differences also. While, it’s not the best way to differentiate variations, sometimes you have to use color. Probably the easiest way to tell an AB card from a CC card is looking at the yellow statistical area background. CC Cards have that color as goldish. For AB Cards that color more light yellow. In Robinson‘s case the brim of his hat is orange on the CC cards and red on the AB cards. There are other differences also.

For PT Cards it’s much more simple. Turning the card over the regular box is brown colored cardboard, and the spout box is white colored cardboard.

A master set is a pretty big challenge and not a lot of people probably care about this. But there are a handful of collectors that pursue this. And in every case they have the four Brooks Robinson‘s variations. The collectors that I know who have these master sets include Dave Worley, Dan Mabey, Gevelt Meyer, Kelvin Soldat, Tim Wheatley, Fred McKie, and Bob Marquette.

I’ll try to post a picture but I don’t keep pictures on my computer so it is something that’s very challenging for me.