View Single Post
Old 01-04-2024, 03:33 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
This is where I get lost. A "9" being worth about 8x the same card graded an "8". When it comes to subjectivity at that level, we pretty much know it could go either way. We've all seen 8's that are better than 9's.

I'm so glad that I'm not stuck on a kick where I have to have the highest number on a label and gladly pay 8x more for a number on a label.

Apologies to the registry collectors that may think I'm making fun of them. Even if I had $1.75M to spend on cards, I'd be making a different choice than upgrading my "8" grade for a "9" grade. But that's just me, I guess.
I wouldn't sweat it. I think even us hardcore set registry goons acknowledge the folly in our approach, and in moments of extreme omphaloskepsis may question whether it's wise to continue to climb this ladder.

Although truth be told, I suspect that when you get up into 7 figures, most of the time you're probably not really dealing with hard core set registry collectors. It's probably a much smaller subset of "investor-class" collectors, who are less focused on completing sets in high grades, and more focused on "number go up".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rethink my life.JPG (26.0 KB, 599 views)

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 01-04-2024 at 03:34 PM.