View Single Post
Old 12-25-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
This is insane (almost quite literally), and I mean that as a compliment.

I am working on a number of back runs, so I have the many of the same fronts, but all with different backs. I really don’t consider those “the same card”. Historically, I have tried to hoard two cards - e104-2 Wagner and 1916 Zeenut Claxton. Did very well with the Wagners (only own one now but should have kept them). Not so great with the Claxtons, and I still own two.
It didn't start as hoarding. I bought one as my second Old Judge card (Joe Mulvey was first). I had no clue how rare Old Judge cards were at the time, so literally in the first hour I was ever on Ebay, one was ending within 20-30 minutes. I thought it was nearly impossible to get two OJ cards of the same player and it was cheap, so I bought it. Then I just decided to go for all six variations once I had a better idea of the set.

I got stuck on five variations, then decided to buy a double to trade if one came up. Then a nicer double came up, then a really nice one, then a second London one (he has two London cards). So once I finally finished all six variations, I was only one pose short of two variation sets. I then did the same thing with doubles again until I finally just admitted to myself that I was buying them all (I only passed on 2-3 early on). Then I bought all of the next 25 or so before getting outbid on one.

So basically, If I found the London hands at shoulder pose a lot sooner, I would have finished with six total. I have proof that I can stop at six cards of the same player. I got my last Jocko Fields card around ten years ago. I got my last Tom Reilly card at least 13 years ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dp99anMX4AIRxzt.jpg (147.3 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg reilly.jpg (60.6 KB, 501 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS