View Single Post
Old 12-10-2023, 10:43 AM
Dave

Two of my favorite cards I remember having when I was a kid.

1976T Ty Cobb - Just look at that shot! There isn't a clearer shot in the entire 1976T Set, unless you count the Traded Cards, which I hated. Look at that pose! It's Ty freakin' Cobb. I'll never have a Ty Cobb card otherwise.

Not to mention the almost crazy and fantastical stats listed on the back of the card.

I know Babe Ruth was in that set...and I was a huge Yankee fan...but he just looked...I don't know...not prime. Just a boring Babe shot.

The other card:

1979T Jack Chesbro/Cy Young card - Not for the Cy Young, though that was cool for his 500 something wins...which in those days was like reading that Noah lived to be like 900 years old or something...and you're like "No way is that true, man...no way!"

...but for the Jack Chesbro. I was in the throes of Ron Guidry mania when the 1979's came out...and he had just had one of the greatest seasons for a pitcher in baseball history (or at least Yankee history). I remember opening up a pack and seeing that card and knowing who Cy Young was...and thinking to myself...who the hell is Jack Chesbro, and why is he on the same card as Cy Young. Imagine my surprise when I looked on the back, and saw he was a Yankee. Why had none of my extended family who had indoctrinated me into Yankee culture since before I was even old enough to walk or talk, never mentioned Jack Chesbro to me? How the hell did he win 16 more games then Ron Guidry in a single season...and how come nobody cares about that anymore?

It really sent me into a spiral.

Anyways, don't have much of a connection to those kinds of cards anymore...but back then, they certainly helped nurture my obsession with baseball and sports history in general.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TyCobb1979Toppss-l1600.jpg (148.5 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg JackChesbroCyYoung1979Toppss-l1600.jpg (184.0 KB, 430 views)

Last edited by D. Bergin; 12-10-2023 at 10:47 AM.