View Single Post
Old 12-08-2023, 08:38 PM
Steve

Very interesting and thought provoking thread. On the specific subject of "All Time Great"-type issues, my only encounter with such cards happened to be maybe the most poignant of all of my collecting memories. When I was nine years old, my father made time to take a road trip to Cooperstown, about fifty miles from our home. He took my brother and me along, perhaps only grudgingly when my mother requested it. After walking through the HOF, I can recall noticing a display of souvenir items for sale, one of which was the Callahan HOF set in a small box. Since my brother and I had been collecting Bowman cards for a year or more, I pointed the Callahans out to him and we both probably expressed great interest. This apparently caused my father to spring for the cost, likely just a few bucks at that time, but it is one of the fondest memories I have of stuff that my old man ever handed to me. Of course, like so much other childhood memorabilia that evaporated in the next few years, that rather obscure set of cards was lost and forgotten until about fifty years later when I stumbled upon it at a card show in Strongsville. Looking at the set later brought back a flood of memories, of my father, brother and my own early fascination with baseball and little pieces of pasteboard.