View Single Post
Old 11-15-2023, 11:35 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
First, I LOVE Harry Carson. My whole family met Harry, while dressed head to toe in Broncos stuff waiting to get John Elway’s autograph. He was so cool and friendly. What a class act

I will answer both questions together - my entire collection is old and generally rare, mostly from 1903-1927. I collect this era because of the history and Americana. These cards are antiques as much as cards. I love the add backs (crofts cocoa is my favorite add back), I love the true rarity of the cards, I love that baseball was spread during the civil war and grew into America’s pastime during this era. I love the old-time stories of these players and the game. I love the personalities and funny stories - Jennings used to bring toys and shiny things to the game to distract Waddell. I think baseball has a magic and mystique that other sports don’t have and that’s why people love these players. To me, it was just a magical time in America, and owning cards from it makes me feel a little bit apart of it.

But I collect for investment. Everything I buy is to one day sell, I expect at a good profit. For this reason I focus on specific iconic players (Cobb, Wagner, Ruth, Jackson, Young, Mathewson, Thorpe) and/or iconic sets (t206, 1914 CJ, T3, E107, D304).

Great post/query BTW
Amen on Harry Carson. I played golf with him at a fundraiser years ago and he was a really nice guy and a pretty good golfer too(low to
mid-80s).