View Single Post
Old 11-03-2023, 08:22 PM

Historically, I am not a set builder. But in the past two years I have built (although not card by card), several sets, including 1914 Cracker Jack, T3 Turkey Reds, and D304; regarding the CJ set, luckily I already had most of the big boys, acquired a few years ago.

About a year ago I stated building the 1933 Goudey set, but I have 100% slowed on the project due to the costs of Ruth and Gehrig, specifically. There are just other things I would rather spend that kind of money on than 1933 Ruths and the same Gehrig with two different card numbers.

But there are some very doable sets notwithstanding recent price spikes. Many of the E sets from 1909-1911 are small in size and relatively affordable. The T204 set, a gorgeous set in my opinion, is small enough to do and still somewhat economical - and hell, you can get a Walter Johnson rookie for the same price as a lower grade 33 Goudey Ruth. The 33 Delong set is very doable. I guess the point is that some sets, especially the smaller ones, are fun and still somewhat economical. But yes, the bigger ones have become a mighty financial beast often no longer worth conquering