View Single Post
Old 10-31-2023, 11:37 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I think like you said because of that line drive being a one hopper to Garcia and there was no bobble or anything that is why the coach changed his mind. He was hoping for anything but that, and the tailor made one hop made him change his mind and threw up the stop sign, but loooked to be in plenty of time for Walker to see it. Looking down makes no sense, that's how guys who are not fast run.

And to Peter's point on saying people would complain about not being aggressive, NOT with nobody out. Had there been one or 2 outs then yes you can make that argument. With nobdy out unless you are Carroll or Marte maybe, but don't be aggressive with your 4 hitter.

He stops there you got 1st and 3rd nobody out, Scherzer just got rocked twice. In all liklihood the Rangers are then giving up the runner on third anyway to get the double play. So Walker scores on almost anything the next 2 batters do. And Scherzer ain't the K machine he once was so again know what is going on.

Maybe a little less looking in the dugout, patting yourself on the back, waving your arms (like the Phillies, and basically every team) and how 'bout thinking about the situation and not thinking about your hit.

It changed the game.
I disagree. The coach should have assumed the play would be made cleanly and not waved him home, especially as the standard play would be to hold in that situation. There was no need to start with an initial wave home in "hopes" there would be a defensive slip up.

As for knowing game situations, it cuts both ways and your argument is self-serving. Of course Walker knows the game situation, but then again, the whole purpose of having a third-base coach is to have a reliable second set of eyes and a command structure of what to do in real time. If anything, I would argue that Walker would have assumed he would be held and started digging--with head down--once he saw the wave home. It is not necessarily incumbent upon him to wonder--gee coach, are you sure?-- in that situation.

Finally, Walker is incredibly unassuming and not into his performance at the cost of game mismanagement, so your insinuation that he was somehow clueless because he was thinking about himself is baseless.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.