View Single Post
Old 10-13-2023, 11:58 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Hard to question anything Thomson did in that Series. They dominated all 4 games all but 2 innings, but yah had it gone South I then can see some questioning, but that's always the case.

Great managing throughout by Thomson.
I generally like how Thomson manages the Phillies, and I understand things are different in the playoffs (although sometimes it seems like overmanaging but it's certainly not just him). However, I was questioning the bullpen moves during the game, and I still question them after the game even though it worked out. By using Domiguez (5 pitches - 3 batters) in the 6th then taking him out in the 6th after a 2 out hit (a little questionable) for Alvarado who then got wild in the 7th and had to be replaced by Kimbrel who finished the 7th but couldn't get through the 8th, he had to go to Soto to finish the 8th even though he had not been used much in the playoffs and had been shaky at times late in the season.

While most of that seemed ok at the time, the biggest question I had was keeping Soto (a lefty who can be wild) in to start the 9th with 3 righties coming up. Because Soto only faced 1 batter in the 8th, he would have to face at least 2 in the 9th. He also had Strahm (a lefty who is also pretty good against righties) and Hoffman (a righty who had warmed up earlier and has been used in more late innings than Soto recently) available. Either probably would have made more sense to start the 9th than Soto who walked the leadoff hitter then gave up a soft single to right to make it first and third. Strahm then came in to get out of it and finish the game (fortunately).

I don't know if Thomson was asked after the game why he decided to keep Soto in the game, but there's no reason I can think of that makes it the best move considering who else was available. A manager's job is to put his players in the best situation for them to succeed then hope that they do. In this case, I don't see why he would think Soto in the 9th was the best situation for success. Turns out it wasn't, but Strahm was able to come in and bail him out to win the game.