View Single Post
Old 10-13-2023, 07:04 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I find our vintage bubble to be awesome, and unfortunately I assumed every other collectible bubble to be equally awesome. I ended up - at the time - buying a fake Michael Jordan rookie. Totally fell on me - didn't do research, assumed the best in people. Fortunately for me, the guy transacted with someone I knew in a bigger deal, and it worked out where I got my money back. Lesson learned, but still leaves a bad taste in my mouth (mostly for me being an idiot).

I also once ripped a t206 Ty Cobb effectively in half, because the person mailing it to me didn't put it in a top loader (it wasn't graded). When I opened the envelope I ripped both the envelope and card in half. Learned lesson that even if you are excited to get a card, open the envelope with care (but come on - shame on the seller for not packing it with care)!

The other - more jokingly - mistake I made was selling a few cards back in 2015 to buy my first apartment. Oh, what I would do to have those back and stay at my parents a few more years!! One of the cards was a gorgeous W600 Cy Young.

The cool thing is that you kind of just learn from mistakes and it ultimately makes you a better collector. In hindsight, all of the mistakes helped me in the long-run, but definitely tough to swallow in the moment.

Funny enough, years later, I ended up selling the ripped Cobb for MORE than I paid for it!

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums