View Single Post
Old 10-02-2023, 11:33 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
In a thread from 12 years ago, Leon had what looked like a paper instruction sheet for WG6's. Still, the paper above is more of an ad.

WG4 Polo 1914
WG5 National Game 1913
WG6 Tom Barker 1913
WG7 Walter Mails 1923
WG8 S&S 1936

So I just looked in my 1960 edition American Card Catalog... WG is the designation for greeting cards in there. At some point the designation changed??? Help!!!
Frank, according to Old Cardboard, here is the explanation on how the sets got their current name:
"Notes on "WG" Nomenclature: The WG5 and WG6 designations are often attributed to the American Card Catalog. Curiously, however, the WG designation in the ACC (1960) is reserved for "Greeting Cards" with the lower numbers (WG1 through WG50) used more specifically for Valentine cards. The WG designation as applied to baseball-themed playing cards was apparently first used in the late 1970s in the Sports Collectors Bible under the general heading "Team Games.'"

Here is the link: https://www.oldcardboard.com/eNews/2...eNews154.htm#2

Old Cardboard's set summary also shows a four page paper rules insert as associated with the Tom Barker set, although different from what the OP shows, which I agree is more likely an ad:
https://www.oldcardboard.com/wg/wg6/...?cardsetID=951

Still, it looks like these things could vary, as the Scorecard in the Barker set differs from what Frank posted, at least when associated with Fenway Breweries. Frank I assume your scorecard is from the NG set and not Barker. I am uncertain if Barker used the same scorecards as National Game when not advertising for Fenway Breweries. I also do not know if the scorecard for Fenway Breweries is the same when it shows a National game back. Maybe others can clarify.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.